We often here about web related terms like web browser, web server and web client. These are interrelated and many of us don’t know how to differentiate among these. This article is about the individual introduction and basic differences among these. So, let me first quote the one line difference between web browser, web server and web client.
Basic Difference between Browser, Server and Web Client
Web browser is actually the software or program through which we interact with website and other contents present on internet. Web server is the system which provide web browser with required information, let’s say webpage. Web client the Web browser which requests information from web server and make it available to the user.
So, these one line definitions were only for giving you the basic idea about web server, web browser and web client. Now we’ll look into the individual details of them.
Web server is basically a system the deals with the client’s request and provide client with web pages by Hyper Text Transfer Protocol (HTTP) and files via File Transfer Protocol (FTP). URL (universal resource locator) is basically the address where you want to receive data from. When you type a URL in address bar of your web browser, web server sends request to the location where the domain name of this URL is saved.
Then the information you requested (i.e. the webpage) is accessed and provided you by server. This is how it works. So, we can conclude that the processing and providing webpage to the client is the main duty of a web server.
Developing a Web Server
Developing a webserver is not that rocket science. You can ever convert your PC into web server using a web server software. Many web server software are available such as:
Developing a web server is not difficult thing. But the processing of information, granting instant access to requested data and storing medium are key factors which measure the efficiency of a web server. HTTP is the protocol to deliver web contents. Web pages are then delivered to client in HTML format. HTML consists of the information like text based content, script shapes styles videos or images (if present) etc.
Features of Web Servers
Key features of web servers are
- Virtual hosting
- Large file support (multiple gigabytes)
- Bandwidth regulating
- Server-side scripting (for generating dynamic web pages)
A web server can handle up to 80000 connections at a time. However, a normal web server supports 500-1000 connections per IP.
Overload Causes in Web browsers
- XSS viruses, internet bots
- Slow network
- Computer worms
- excess legitimate web traffic
A web browser is a software that provide interaction between user and web server. We’ve discussed about HTTP in web server section. Web browser is the thing through which we send HTTP requests to web server. Requested contents are displayed in the form of webpage including Text, images, audios and videos on our computer screens.
Examples of Web browsers
Some most commonly used web browsers are:
- Google Chrome
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Edge
As it’s the era of smartphone, so a web browser without having Android an iOS compatibility is nothing. All of the famous web browser have launched their android and iOS versions as well, to hold on strong feet in smartphone browser markets.
With the rapid and continuous advancement in IT, web browser developers are eagerly looking forward to make modern advancements in their browsers. A lot of new features are being introduced to attract more and more users, due to high competition among web browser developing organizations.
Components of Web browser
Major components of a web browser are as follows
- User interface
- UI backend
- Layout & rendering engine
- Networking & data persistence component etc.
Overload Causes in Web browsers
- Memory leaks
- Browser bugs
- Complex CSS
- Add ins
- Redundant web data
- Low system configuration
- Cache issues
Web client can be said as an application or web browser (like Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Opera, Firefox, Safari) which is installed in a computer and used to interact with Web servers upon user’s request. It is basically a consumer application which collects processed data from servers. A Client and a Server are two parts of a connection, these are two distinct machines, web client requests information, and the web server is basically a PC that is designed to accept requests from remote computers and send on the information requested.
Web server is responsible for storing the information in order to be viewed by the clients, and is also usually a Web Host. A Web host allows connections to the server to view said stored info.
Some Conclusive Differences between Web server, Web browser and Web client
- Web server is needed to store all information and data of different websites while the Web clients (which are actually the web browsers) are used to access and locate these information and data.
- On the other hand, a software which is used to provide and display data to the user is called web browser. The software which provide this data to web browser is called web server.
- Client (i.e. web browser) initiates the request of specific webpage(s). Web server respond to this request and provide client with what it has requested for.
- Another smart kind of difference is the web server can only deal with a limited load (from 2 to 80,000 connections at a time). Though some exceptional and special web server also supports the load from 500-1000 connections per IP address, but here we’re considering general case. On the other hand, the load on web browser depends is connection and system dependent.
- The task of extending features in a web server is highly complex as compared to the web browser. Features of a web browser can be extending by just installing predeveloped extensions and plugins.
So, it was the brief description on the difference between Web Browser, Web Server and Web Client. I would like to wait for your feedback in below comment box!